Sunday, March 15, 2009

The BO Chronicles

I was at Target last night, shopping for various sundries.  I swung by the deodorant aisle.  Target has a wide selection.  About 3/4 of one entire side of an aisle is dedicated to deodorant.

My normal approach is four steps:  (1) find the men's section; (2) grab either Degree or Axe for men; (3) pop the caps and smell a few; and (4) purchase one that I don't think a woman, if I ever met one, would find offensive.  I don't even look at the name of the scent.  Gone in 30 seconds.

Last night required a different procedure.  For there in front of me was a family.  An impenetrable wall of family.  Here's a rough approximation of the configuration:

__________________________
   W  < >     S         K          H
         G  < >                          Me
__________________________
 
W = Woman in her late twenties, with a shopping cart (< >) parallel to the aisle facing S.
S = W's sister, I think.  A little younger.
K = Kid, an 8 year old girl
H = Husband of woman, slightly younger, and definitely NOT in charge.
G = W's mom (the grandmother) with her own shopping cart (< >) also parallel to the aisle.

The deodorant is on the north side of this aisle.  W, G, and S are in the women's section.  K and H are in the men's section.  K is lifting the cap off of ev-e-ry...single...container, and sniffing them all -- as if she's in some sort of timed deodorant sniffing contest.  God knows what this will do to her brain development.

H, flummoxed by all the choices, has a blank look on his face.  He's not frustrated by how much time they are spending here.  He's not even resigned to it.  He's just floating in his own space.

W and S are discussing the various scents of women's deodorants. W then shrieks (literally):  "Oh my God*, they have Classic Romance."  Classic Romance?  Yes, that's the name of a women's scent.  Talk about marketing!  There's nothing romantic about deodorant.  I actually thought she was kidding, but S and G lean in for a whiff.

*Degree has its own line of deodorant for teenage girls and it's tag line is "Protection for every OMG moment."

W then tells H:  "You should get this."  H, not knowing what else to do, says "If you think so."  Yeah, H is going to be wearing Classic Romance.  I think H might be in the Navy (we are near NAS Jax, and he has a short haircut). 

But wait, W isn't done.  She blurts to the group:  "John (this is H's name), you really should get 'clinical protection'."  I'm feeling uncomfortable.  Not only am I spending waaaayyy too much time in the deodorant aisle, but I now have the sinking feeling I'm going to get TMI about H's b.o.  G chimes in "Yes, John, that's very strong.  Doctors recommend it."

Doctors recommend deodorant?  When?  I've never seen a commercial that says "4 out of 5 doctors we surveyed recommend Degree Clinical Protection."  How bad do you have to smell to get a doctor's recommendation for deodorant.  I decide to hold my breath, just in case.

I've had enough.  It's Saturday night, and I may not have any plans, but I'm NOT going to be stuck in a deodorant colloquium.

Here's the aisle again, in a bigger view.  My plan is represented by the dashed lines:


__________________________

   W  < >     S       / K           H
                              --- \
         G   < >                  \
                                       -----Me
__________________________

That's right, moving quickly to my left, I execute a slashing maneuver, and using my left hand, I reach up and over the kid for some men's Degree. The family looks at me like I've just walked through their living room on my way to their backyard.  I leave quickly.

On the way to the counter I sneak a peek.  I got Degree "Power."  Look out y'all.